Thursday, July 9, 2009

Thing #14: Technorati and How Tags Work

After exploring this Thing and the last one, I've come to realize just how important and beneficial tagging can be. But it's fascinating that the same principle works in different ways; that is, in Delicious the users tag the content, helping them save and categorize sites they want to remember . However, in Technorati, that function belongs to the publishers or creators of their own blogs to help them get their message out to a larger number of people. So I guess a person would choose one or the other of these (Delicious or Technorati) depending on their needs and perspective. Both could be useful for research. In my school situation, we would probably use Delicious more so that the students could recall the sites they had found previously and might want to use again.

When I searched the blogosphere for posts, I got 121 results with the term "School Library Learning 2.0". Changing to search for blogs, there were 21 results, and by limiting the results to tags only, I ended up with 28 (most of which were from our Library2Play blog).

1 comment:

  1. Very professional post, LALI (your acronym--had you thought about it?)

    I agree that tagging is most versatile. I really like the organizational capabilities of it. It fits in with my "library" mindset of organization.

    ReplyDelete