Friday, July 17, 2009

Thing #19: Web 2.0 Awards List

It was really hard to stop once I got started with this list. Like the saying goes, "So many books (Web 2.0 tools), so little time". I started with YourMinis, which is a source for widgets for blogs, websites, etc. There I found this internet radio and put it in my blog. We have a new AV system in the high school library where I work and I'm anxious to try some background music to see how it affects the students' behavior. (The radio was too big to fit as a gadget, so I had to put it in this message... haven't figured out how to resize yet.)



Next I looked at Netvibes, where you can create your own personalized startpage. It is a free web service that brings together everything that matters to you — blogs, news, weather, videos, photos, social networks, email and much more — and they are all automatically updated every time you visit your page. As I've mentioned several times before in this blog, I'm always looking for ways to help our UIL students learn the massive amounts of information they are required to know. By setting up a personalized startpage using Netvibes and various news sources, I can create one place for them to go for the most up-to-date current events information.

I also looked at Mango Languages, which is a subscription tool for learning conversational skills in foreign languages, and Picnik, another photo editing website. I'm not sure yet what the differences are between Picnik, Flickr, Picasa, and other photo editing tools, but I especially liked the special effects and fonts available in Picnik. It provides lots of possibilities for enhancing presentations created by students and teachers.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad I read your blog. These are totally different from the ones I did. There is just so much out there.

    I like the sound of music in the library and now it will be so easy for you to have some really good sound. I'll have to come over and work there to get in on this, won't I?

    ReplyDelete