Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Thing #13: Tagging and Discover Delicious

I am definitely on information overload status now. So much to see and do with these social bookmarking sites! I already had an account on Delicious, set up primarily to archive my bookmarks and make them available from school or home. I also didn't want to lose them in case of a computer crash. I had no idea about all the other capabilities of this tool. I like the tagging feature because often a website needs to be bookmarked in two or more folders, creating a lot of duplication. With tags, it is saved once but recalled with any of its assigned tags. In looking around in some of these sites, I discovered how easy it is to find other information on a topic of interest to me. I also like the capability in Furl (or Diigo now, as it appears to be called) of adding highlights or sticky notes for later reference. Maybe that is possible in Delicious too but I haven't found it yet.

As for school use, I would be interested to know how others use these tools. I can see their benefits as far as research is concerned, but many of these types of sites are filtered in our districts and students are not allowed access (I don't know about these particular sites because I have not yet tried them at school). Also, our teachers usually require students to use subscription databases rather than (or sometimes in addition to) internet for their research.

No comments:

Post a Comment